Discover the city of Porto with our Porto Tour and Wine Tasting. The capital city of northern Portugal, the city of Porto is intimately and unforgettably linked to the sea. As far back as the Romans, who referred to the region as Portus Cale, Porto presents visitors with a blend of the old and the new. As the second largest city in Portugal, it has a much different feel than Lisbon, and the vibrant culture is palpable as you discover the secrets around every corner.
This tour takes you around to the its many neighborhoods from the medieval times like the Cathedral quarter to Aliados Avenue, Santa Catharina Street, and the bustling Ribeira (wharf) among others. Before returning to the hotel visit one of wine cellars to taste the famous Porto wine.
Highlights of our Porto Tour and Wine Tasting
Some of the highlights of the Porto Tour and Wine Tasting are:
- The Cathedral Quarter, heart of the medieval section of the city, this 13th century building rises up over the city and is a must see for people visiting Porto, located right next to the bishop’s palace and the original city wall.
- Avenida Aliados – Starting from the Liberty Square this is one of Porto’s most beautiful streets for the Art Nouveau architecture that stands out, including the city hall.
- Santa Catharina Street – The heart of the shopping district.
- A visit with tasting to one of the Porthouses that line the river and are home to the city’s most famous product: Port wine!
Our suggestions to add to your Porto Tour and Wine Tasting
If you add extra time to your tour you can also visit:
- Don’t miss the incredible Lello Library, close to the Liberty Square, which was the inspiration for the library in the Harry Potter books!
- Stop for a coffee at the Majestic Café on Santa Catharina
- Get a panoramic view from the Miradouro da Serra da Gaia, or go even further and take the cable car ride from the top of the viewpoint down to the porthouses!
- Take a River Cruise of the 6 Bridges of Porto. This journey on a traditional Portuguese riverboat offers you a unique view into Porto. In addition to the rich landscape and spectacular views, sail past the six bridges that make the connection between Porto and Vila Nova de Gaia. Discover the story-telling bridges that have helped intertwine cultures and reveal the scenery of a World Heritage city.