Toledo is a monumental walled city just 30 minutes outside Madrid. It has a long history dating back to the Romans and the influence of the Moors, Jews and Christians who have called it home are evident in its streets and sites. That’s why Toledo is called ‘the city of three cultures’. Toledo is the perfect city to walk around in, taking in its narrow stoned streets, impressive monuments and an atmosphere that takes you back to another time.
Some of the highlights of this tour include:
- Panoramic overview of the city.
- Walking tour of Toledo, including:
- The Cathedral. A ‘must see’ visit for anyone who goes to Toledo. It is called the ‘Catedral Primada de España’, which means the Catholic church recognizes it as the most important in Spain.
- San Juan de los Reyes Monastery in which its surpising and beautiful cloister, one of the two originals, stands out.
- Santa María la Blanca sinagogue. A beautiful sinagogue build in the Moorish style. A clear example of the cohabitation of the different cultures in the city.
- Santo Tomé church. A ‘must see’ visit for any art lover: the chance to see El Greco’s famous painting ‘The burial of the Count of Orgaz’.
- El Salvador church, where you can visit the remains of the Visigoth settlement and an 11th century (or earlier) mosque.
- Cristo de la Luz mosque. Together with the Mezquita of Córdoba, it is the oldest mosque in Spain.
- Jesuitas church, including a panoramic view of the city from the tower.